The term “IT infrastructure” is very broad. It refers to hardware, software, networks and facilities. However, it requires the precise interplay of all these components to ensure the effectiveness of various processes within a company, i.e. development, test trials, information provision, monitoring and IT service support.
The IT infrastructure is, therefore, crucial for the smooth operation of a company or organisation. It provides the basis upon which all of a company’s digital applications and services are operated.
Part of an IT infrastructure
Due to its complexity, an IT infrastructure is made up of many individual systems. The overall structure consists of the following components:
- Hardware: The physical basis of the IT infrastructure includes devices such as servers, computers, data centres, switches and routers.
- Software: Operating systems, databases and application software are absolutely essential to use hardware resources effectively.
- Network: For networking computers and other devices, the infrastructure includes LANs, WANs, internet access and various other communication technologies.
- Storage solutions: Storing data is also an integral part of a well-working IT infrastructure. Storage media include both physical technologies, such as hard drives, and virtual storage solutions, such as cloud storage.
- Data centre: There is no IT solution that works without a location where its physical components process the relevant data. Data centres are air-conditioned and secure environments that house all the required IT components.
The requirements that an IT system must meet
One of the things a well-working IT infrastructure has to do is manage data. This ensures not only the highly efficient storage of data but also guarantees its reliable recovery and quick access.
However, not only data storage, but also digital communication between all network partners must be hassle free. Information and files must be exchanged. In addition to the exchange of data, it must also be ensured that sufficient resources are available in the network for all the participants. For example, it has to be possible to use complex software applications simultaneously at all times.
Moreover, effective firewall systems, encryption and other security protocols are needed to ensure security when exchanging data. Efficient IT infrastructures are always shielded from unauthorised access. In case of problems, e.g. with cloud computing, an IT service provider must also be able to intervene immediately.
If you are thinking of planning a robust IT infrastructure for companies, finding a solution of the right size is essential. Overly large infrastructures take up more space and generate unnecessary costs when IT resources remain unused. While an undersized infrastructure renders the network inefficient. However, modular solutions, like those from Cadolto Datacenter, make it possible to always adapt the size of your data centre to individual requirements.
The IT infrastructure is not only essential for the technical implementation of business processes. You should always remember that it is equally crucial for the strategic planning and operational business of a company.